[CQ-Contest] CQ Contest Certificates.

Jeffrey Embry jeffrey.embry at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 10:45:31 EST 2012

I have to say I agree with Pete on this one.  Plaques are a different
matter....but with my station, I am in it for fun and if a cert comes my
way....GREAT.   I am not expecting a plaque any time soon.

73es,

Jeff
K3OQ

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 9:47 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr at contesting.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure I agree with Randy on this.  If I could download a
> certificate with my name, callsign and details of my place in the contest
> already inserted, I think that would give me as big a rush as receiving a
> paper certificate in the mail.
>
> 73, Pete N4ZR
> Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
> http://reversebeacon.net,
> blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.
> For spots, please go to your favorite
> ARC V6 or VE7CC DX cluster node.
>
> On 11/16/2012 3:35 AM, Maarten van Rossum wrote:
>
>> I certainly can remember my first certificate! In my case it wasn't that
>> long ago, it must have been the year 2008. I emidiately bought a frame to
>> put it in so that I could put it on the wall in the shack. Unfortunaltely
>> it didn't fit the frame (in the US everything is bigger, even the
>> certificates ;-)).
>>
>> I think easiest way to let the contest sponsor know that there's no need
>> send a certificate is to not mention your address in the Cabrillo file.
>> If someone left out his of her address by accident, then there should
>> always be the abbility to download the certificate from the sponsors
>> website.
>>
>> By the way, I for one would like to be able to download my certificates in
>> the European A4 paper size. Fits our frame without having to modify it.
>>
>> Keep up the good work Randy!
>>
>> 73, Maarten PD2R
>> PI4DX Contest group
>>

>> Op vrijdag 16 november 2012 schreef Randy Thompson K5ZD (k5zd at charter.net
>> )
>> het volgende:
>>
>> Brian,
>>>
>>> You are right that it is expensive to print and mail certificates to
>>> thousands of people per contest.  However, it is worth it when we get
>>> excited emails from new contesters happy to have won their first award.
>>> think we can all remember getting our first few certificates and hanging
>>> them proudly on the wall.  Hard for a pdf file to match that!
>>>
>>> We have discussed providing a way for contest participants to opt out of
>>> receiving a certificate.  Perhaps they have a box of them or just don't
>>> want
>>> to cause us the expense.
>>>
>>> The logical place to do this is by a new field in the Cabrillo file.  So
>>> far, the people who maintain the Cabrillo file "standard" have not been
>>> interested in adding a new tag.  Perhaps some more support would
>>> encourage
>>> them to change their mind.
>>>
>>> Should there be one new tag that says "don't send certificates or plaques
>>> or
>>> anything"?  Or should be there be two?  One for no certificates and
>>> another
>>> for no plaques/awards?  Or could it be as simple as a convention that
>>> says
>>> if there is no address provided then don't send anything?
>>>

>>> 73
>>>
>>> Randy, K5ZD
>>>
>>> PS - Hoping for good conditions and lots of certificate/plaque winners in
>>> the CQWW in just 8 days!

Jeff Embry, K3OQ
FM19nb
ARCI #11643, FPQRP #-696,
QRP-L # 67, NAQCC #25, ARS #1733
AMSAT LM-2263

--
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of
enthusiasm.  - Sir Winston Churchill