[CQ-Contest] Why is he ashamed

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Tue Nov 27 10:01:41 EST 2012

Having been on the DX side of the pileups in a contest:

Should he sign?  Yes.  Does he NEED to?  Maybe?

During a 350-400 hour signing CAN slow you down and any Qs left on the
table because the DX didn't sign will probably be picked up later by the same
stations passing by because he didn't sign...especially if the guy is
VQ9/WA1XYZ  After all, if they didn't know who he was, the can't "boycott"  him.

Signing is absolutely necessary if the DX station works about 3 or 4 dupes
in a row in the middle of a 300+ hour.  It's a sure sign he's been
misspotted.

When the rate gets down to below 200 it is most definitely in the interest
of the DX station to sign since he most definitely doesn't want guys
passing him  by during the slower times.

This past weekend I played doing some runs and lots of S/Ping and can
understand the frustration of the guys when an ID doesn't come every Q.
However, having been on the other end of a 350-400 hour I can also understand  why
IDing every third or fourth Q makes sense (to the DX station).

By the way the rates above refer to phone.  Halve them for CW.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS