[CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Apr 1 13:29:16 EDT 2013

Ahh ... you mean that more people will do what they actually prefer to
do instead of what they might feel compelled to do.  I didn't realize
that was a bad thing for a hobby.  I think it's pretty funny that some
folks are against a 24 hour category precisely because they think it
might be popular enough to make a difference.

But apparently you didn't bother to read the statistics in the original
posts from KR2Q.  Fully 90% of all contesters who send in a log ALREADY
operate less than 24 hours and 75% operate less than 15 hours.  I'd bet
that the numbers for those who don't bother to send in a log (but still
contribute to contest activity) are skewed even lower.  I think it's
fully debatable whether or not a 24 hour category would encourage more
of the 10% who currently operate more than 24 hours to operate less than
it would encourage those 15% in the 15 to 24 hour group to operate
more,  but personally I suspect it would be a wash.

Besides, I don't think anyone advocating a 24 hour category expects to
garner a victory from having one.  Hard core stations and elite
operators will always win over casual ops.  A 24 hour category merely
gives more people a chance to compare themselves on a more equal footing.

Dave   AB7E

p.s.   In cycling, fewer riders in the longer races absolutely impinges
on the efforts of others.  Drafting in a group is critical ... a solo
rider will expend as much as 30% more effort than a rider in the middle
of a group going the same speed.