[CQ-Contest] Flashback - Is It Time?

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Wed Apr 3 09:22:36 EDT 2013

I think this is a reasonable way to try out one of the ideas that has been
discussed, and I love the notion of Stew Perry-style awards.

Three thoughts come to mind, however:

First, regarding the rule: "to qualify for the 24-hour Challenge, your log
must contain no more than 24 hours total operating time, comprising no more
than 6 operating periods, with each off-time being no less than 30 minutes"
  Don't many (most?) contests that have operating time restrictions permit
operators to beyond the time limit, so as to encourage activity in general?
  Perhaps you might want to amend the rule to allow that logs will be
accepted from operators with more operating time, but only the first 24
hours will be accepted?

Or, alternatively, allow entrants to specify whether they want their first
or last 24 hours to be considered.

I plan to operate in CQ WW as much as my XYL and other obligations permit.
  I don't expect to win anything; I'll be doing it just for the adrenalin,
the opportunity to work a lot of DX, and the opportunity to see how my tin
whistle stands in comparison to a few others.  I'd be interested in
submitting a log to a side competition like this for comparison purposes,
but I'd hate to have to watch the clock and/or be excluded just because I
worked 26 or 28 hours instead of the specified 24.

I briefly thought about suggesting that you permit entrants to specify
which 24 hours...but doing that would probably go against the spirit of
creating a side-contest for the non-iron-butt crowd.   You might, perhaps,
also want to specify that logs should match the CQWW submission (if any),
to discourage gaming-through-editing.

Second, why not expand the idea to CQ WW RTTY as well as phone and CW?
Digital ops need love too.

Third, would the sponsors of the side contest consider awards that span
modes?

--
*Michael D. Adams* (N1EN)
Poquonock, Connecticut | mda at n1en.org