[CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Thu Apr 4 18:36:14 EDT 2013

My goal was to get the folks that operate less than 24 to maybe up the
bar a bit and try to get 24 in over the 48 hour period.  This would
benefit all.  This suggestion has nothing to do with making people more
competitive or attempting to equal the playing field.  The only way to
know if it works would be to try right?

Some vocal big guns would like us all to operate the 1st 24 hours and
then go away. I guess they would prefer to have nice quiet Sundays
listening to their CQ machines?

Has anyone taken a look around the rooms at Dayton?  What percent of
contesters or hams are over the age of 50, 60, 70, 80?

These 48 hour big guns are acting like something is being taken away
from them?  What?  Only 2 percent of participants operate over 40 hours
anyway.  What exactly is the issue with trying something else.
Obviously 98 percent can't or won't operate 48 hours so lets continue to
cater to the 2 percent?

Mike W0MU