[CQ-Contest] The History of automated voice for SSB Contesting

Jim Smith jimsmith at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 5 05:36:53 EDT 2013

Back in 1960 I rigged up an endless tape loop which I ran through a
Wollensak tape recorder (which, in true ham fashion, I still have).  To
maintain tape tension I draped the tape loop over the back of a chair
and wrapped a few turns of #14 bare wire around it to act as a weight.

Fed the output of the recorder into my 100V and let the VOX take care of
turning the TX on and off.

Worked FB for calling CQ.  One day after I'd been CQing into a pretty
much dead band for a couple of hours I got a visit from a Radio
Inspector who was wondering what was going on.  I proudly showed off my
Rube Goldberg contraption.  He clearly didn't like it and told me to
stop doing it.  When asked what part of the Radio Act I was contravening
he simply told me again to stop doing it.  Well, I was pretty young then
and lived in terror of the licensing authority so I guess I stopped
doing it.

73, Jim	VE7FO