[CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

Bob Naumann W5OV at W5OV.COM
Fri Apr 12 08:10:29 EDT 2013

Paul,

Your objection to any use of the Internet or commercial telecomm facilities
in any ham radio activity is well known.  You've been grinding the same
flawed axe for years.

I'm sure we would agree, however, that the use of a remote receiver would be
completely unsportsmanlike as defined by many contest and award program
rules - including the CQWW. But, that is not what we're discussing here.

And, despite your persistence in continuing to grind that tired old axe,
none of what you're complaining about actually impacts the "RF" aspect of
the "amateur-band-RF-all-the-way contesting" you seek to protect.

In your preferred configuration, we have the traditional "base" or "home"
station configuration:

Operator -> [Interface stuff] -> {Radio -> Antenna -> Atmosphere}
                                                        {      Amateur  RF
all the way          }

The Interface between operator and his radio consists of headphones,
microphones, keyers, computers and other devices.

In a remote operation, not one piece of the "amateur-band-RF-all-the-way"
portion changes in any way.

The diagram of a remote operation is precisely the same:

Operator -> [Interface stuff] -> {Radio -> Antenna -> Atmosphere}
                                                        {      Amateur  RF
all the way          }

What changes? The Interface stuff between the Operator and the Radio is all
that changes.

In this case, the Interface now includes long wires, UHF or microwave links,
some digital telecomm facilities, and other stuff.  Again, none of this is
changing the "Amateur RF all the way" in any way.

So, your premise is completely without merit.

If you feel that using technologies such as the Internet and others in the
Operator to Radio interface portion of the configuration, then let's discuss
that - but let's be honest that it does not alter the RF at all.

I don't see any tangible difference in using a 6' piece of wire between the
operator and the front of a radio or a 600 mile connection via a network.

Nothing on the front of the radio impacts what goes on at the back of the
radio. Again, all of the "RF all the way" stuff is not changed and certainly
not enhanced in any way.

Propagation does not change, noise does not get reduced, and frankly,
someone using an extended interface to their radio puts themselves at a
disadvantage to anyone not choosing to do so.

73,

Bob W5OV