[CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

Björn SM0MDG bjorn at sm0mdg.com
Fri Apr 12 10:01:00 EDT 2013

On 11 apr 2013, at 03:26, "Jim Jordan" <k4qpl at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I also operate remote with a TS480. However, I opted not to use Remoterig for concern about the very issues you are experiencing. I leave my entire radio at home and use what I consider (no I'm not paid!) to be the most bullet proof remote desktop, www.GoToMyPC.com  which I also use in my business for its reliability.

Not sure I would trade Remoterig for a PC screen sharing solution with its screen lag...

I ended up using Remoterig after trying a lot of different solutions including TRX Manager, HRD and other software solutions. With Remoterig I am getting rid of any non necessary traffic and the delays introduced by using an extra computer at the remote station site. I am using Remoterig's internal serial servers to control the radio and to establish a connection between the logging computer and the remote radio. I key Remoterig's straight key line using Winkeyer from N1MM (or Win-Test) and it creates perfect CW. Don't ask me how it works, but Remoterig does capture CW on the input and reproduces it perfectly on the other side of the internet connection.

The above described setup has helped me to achieve a steady and responsive remote connection suitable for contesting, both CW and SSB. With my current setup I do not feel distant to the radio, and in my opinion a major benefit is that I have the radio control panel in front of me.

There are a few posts on my blog describing my remote contesting experience;

http://se0x.info/?tag=remote

73 de Björn,
SM0MDG
VP2MSW