[CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Tue Apr 16 16:37:15 EDT 2013

Seriously?

Who's job is it to worry about the legality of who is operating? You?
Me?  No.  The station owner, the operators and the governing radio
bodies.  Who exactly is the control op at remote repeaters?  I can
assure you that very few repeater owners have control ops on 24x7.  Once
again is this our problem?  No.

Is paying to be a member of a repeater club is somehow different? Would
you feel better if they allowed you to join their remote radio club
instead?  That is exactly what they are offering.  Your repeater club
dues go to pay for the equipment and your ability to use said equipment
especially in a CLOSED repeater scenario.

Why is this our problem when for years we turned our backs, winked,
smirked at all the stations KNOWN to be running well in excess of the
regulated power limits imposed by the governing authorities? How many
DQ's happened because of power in the last 40 years?  I just saw one in
the CQ WW SSB write up.  I can't recall ever seeing another.  We could
go on and on and on about all the FUNNY BUSINESS that happened in
contesting and DX over the years.

Is there really any difference in renting my house antennas and being
there or renting remote time.  As long as both are done legally within
the confines of the contest rules and governing communication bodies
they are identical.

I checked out the remotehamradio.com site.   If you can afford their
prices I bet you can afford to build your own station.  Their high end
option does not even give you enough minutes in the month for a 48 hour
contest.  Other issues are how many people will be on at the same time,
etc.  I wish them well though as this is probably the norm in the future
as government's across the globe continue to limit what we can and can't
do in our homes especially in cites and suburbia.

Do I think that for pay remote sites are going to be springing up all
over the place?  No.

Would I love to be able to rent out J6M (Fictional) while in W0 land if
it were legal?  Yes if the price were considerably less than the actual
travel and legal, which currently it is not.  It is however legal from
other US territories.

Is this really a contesting issue?  No.

Do I ever wish for other hams or people to fail miserably?  NEVER and I
am really shocked to see this from a guy that given so much to ham radio
and contesting.