[CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Wed Apr 17 09:57:36 EDT 2013

On 17/04/2013 12:11, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:

> The basic reason why I took such strong exception to the idea of pure
> pay-to-play is that it seems to me part of a pernicious trend.  Why go
> to the trouble of learning all we do in the course of building a
> station?  Why go through the exhilarating experience of trying, and
> failing, and trying, and eventually succeeding?  Now you can just pay
> for air time.

I have a sympathy with Pete's opinion. However,
similar concerns have been repeated since the
dawn of amateur radio with regard to whatever
technology was new or novel at the time.

> Maybe I'm just getting old (actually I know I am), but when someone sets
> out to make money this way I *do* hope they fail. Not as hams, or as
> people, but as a business.

It seems to me that anyone is entitled to make money
out of contesting.  Should all goods and services be
free just because we regard it as a hobby?

We need to adjust to new, relevant, technology and
commercial services.

73,
Paul EI5DI