[CQ-Contest] Remote contest operation

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 01:58:53 EDT 2013

Thanks for the rules quotation, Bob. I should point out that ARRL rules
regarding remote operating are almost identical to those of CQ WW.

The ARRL Contest Advisory Committee took up the question of remote operating
back in 2008. We concluded that existing ARRL rules allowed remote
operating. Specifically, it's allowed by the 500m rule, which states:

3.7. All transmitters and receivers must be located within a 500-meter
diameter circle, excluding antennas.

In addition, a subsection of this rule points makes it clear that the use of
remote receivers outside the 500m circle is prohibited:

3.7.1. This prohibits the use of remote receiving installations.

Further, the CAC decided not to recommend any changes to these rules. We
specifically discussed the issue of whether the operator's location relative
to the station equipment alters the competitive landscape, and decided that
it does not. We also discussed whether remote receivers (or transmitters for
that matter) alter the competitive landscape, and concluded that they most
certainly do.

I'm late to this discussion (if you want to call it that), but I'm somewhat
bewildered by it. No contest rules that I'm aware of require physical
presence of the operator within the 500m circle. But more important, I can't
think of any reason why anyone would deem remote operation inconsistent with
the spirit of contesting. Even further, I believe it has the potential to
enhance contesting and generate more interest and participation.

Yes, it could be something of a competitive advantage for an operator to
"phone in" to a remote station at a great location (say, the Canary Islands)
rather than having to go through the expense and hassle of travelling to
that spot and perhaps erecting temporary antennas and equipment for the
operation. But "ease of access" to the station has never been a
consideration for assessing the competitive factors or fairness of a
contest. The effort to physically appear at the remote station varies
greatly. Some stations are easily-accessed permanent installations, some are
permanent stations that are hard to access or require a lot of work to setup
prior to each contest. Some are extremely difficult and expensive to reach,
and have no infrastructure at all. We don't distinguish between the
different levels of effort to operate at these locations, though we
certainly admire those who undertake to operate from the more difficult
locations. Remote operation over the Internet or phone lines is simply
another way to access a station, and in that sense we should treat it the
same as all the other ways to access a station.

Remote contesting offers the benefit of being able to operate as if you had
traveled to the remote location. How cool is that for ops who can't afford
such trips or ops with disabilities that prevent them from traveling at all?
Do we really want to deprive these ops of the pleasure of operating a
station in a great location? I would hope not.

The issue of payment for use of a remote station is a bit more
controversial, but it's not prohibited by the rules. On the one hand, we're
all uncomfortable with the idea of someone making a business of renting out
a remote station, perhaps because it sounds a little like "pecuniary
interest". On the other hand, what's wrong with someone offsetting the
substantial cost of building and maintaining a competitive station? How
different is that from any other business in the Amateur radio field, like
building and selling transceivers, antennas, etc.? In point of fact, such
rental stations have been around for a long time and many contest operators
have paid the fees. The only difference we're talking about here is whether
you travel to the station to operate it or access it over the Internet, not
whether you pay for the privilege.

73, Dick WC1M