[CQ-Contest] WARC Bands and Contesting: Aargh! FAQ Update

Bob Naumann W5OV at W5OV.COM
Thu Aug 8 08:17:45 EDT 2013

Embarrassed?  Over what?

Dave, normally you and I see things in pretty much the same way, so there
must be some confusion here over what the issue is.

First, I have no desire to put contests on the WARC bands - this is just not
necessary and proves nothing. Yes - not a good idea.

I'm also not advocating going against any agreements that have been in
place.  I am, however, totally against limiting contests to "segments" of
the bands and other stupid restrictions that we hear proposed from time to
time.

My point is entirely that the vocal minority anti-contest element needs to
be told to stop the juvenile complaining and to be happy with what they
have.  The problem is that their goal is to eliminate contesting.

Yes, that's right - they want to eliminate contesting.  It has nothing to do
with being fair at all.

If you look at the reality objectively (as I detailed in my previous post)
they have exclusive allocations (the WARC bands) and they get virtually
contest-free use of the bands for over 80% of the weekends per year, not to
mention 100% of all weekdays.

So, the reality is that they're complaining and seeking to limit contesting
to even less bandwidth than what we already consume.  It's totally
ridiculous and by any measure unfair.

We need to fight back against this totally stupid, anti-contesting element.

They should be told that they should be happy with what they have and to
stop the baseless complaining and criticizing of contesters!

By any measure, contesters use the bands for a much smaller portion of the
time than is available to them and they should face that fact.

Who says non-contesters are in a position where their wants are placed above
contesters?  Based on what?

It's absolutely ridiculous for contesters to be ashamed or embarrassed to
tell the truth and yes, to fight back.

73,

Bob W5OV