[CQ-Contest] CQ WW Scoring System needs revision?

Rick Kiessig kiessig at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 14:53:23 EST 2013

Easy: scores are all based on short-path only.

Of course there are vagaries of propagation. This is just a scoring system, not a measurement system.

The goal is to get the EU and US masses to point their antennas away from each other and out toward the rest of the world for more than just a single QSO per zone or DXCC. The goal is not to differentiate between LP and SP, or other modes of propagation. If it helps, you could actually think of LP contacts as bonus points: you were able to contact that distant location when SP paths were closed. More points!

I'm against correction factors, except perhaps by band, to encourage people to spread out and not jam 20m wall-to-wall.

With distance-based scoring, I'm confident we will find as much or more travel to DX locations -- it's just that the particular spots chosen will be different -- and it will take some time to discover the best ones. I consider those things to be good for the sport, not bad.

73, Rick ZL2HAM / ZM1G