[CQ-Contest] RBN Change

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Dec 12 16:35:41 EST 2013

During CQWW CW, some may be aware that we experienced extreme delays in
spots from our DXSpider server, up to 35 minutes at times, which
disrupted relay to "retail" DX clusters.  As a result, we decided to
switch out the DXSpider server in favor of a second ARC Version 6
server, so now, when you connect to telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000,
you will see an ARC V6 server instead.  ARC V6's architecture is such
that we believe it will becapable of handling future increases in
traffic without hiccups.

For some time, we have been encouraging end users of RBN spots to go to
ARC V6 or VE7CC "retail" nodes instead of directly to the RBN's
servers.  However, some who connect directly have been startled by the
change. We realize that people are used to the filter syntax used by
DXSpider and other backward-compatible cluster software, but we believe
that even in the near term our users are best served by making this
change in the RBN servers now.

You can find an exhaustive list of cluster servers at
<http://www.dx.info>, and an excellent summary of AR Cluster V6
filtering commands at
<http://ab5k.net/ArcDocsVer6/UserManual/ArcCmdSummary.htm>.

--