[CQ-Contest] anyone using combo ICE419 filter box w/DBS-1 decoders by ArraySolutions

AB2E Darrell ab2e at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 30 20:09:37 EST 2013

Hello,
         Would like to hear from anyone also using this combination (DBS-1 band decoder w/ICE419 filter box).
I am setting them up for SO2R with a Sixpak.
Using with IC756Pro III and FT-1000D.

All seems to work fine on the FT-1000D setup w/ DBS-1 and ICE419 box.

The 2nd setup for IC756ProIII has the following problem.
Significant
 voltage drop when adding the ICE419 to the DBS-1, from 12V to 8V, which
 is too low to drive the Sixpak. I may have a decoder problem since the other DBS-1 does not seem to have a voltage drop and remains at 12V when I add the ICE419 to the circuit.
At first I was trying an Alinco PS
which is working fine on the other combo, but 13.8 in was only reading
10V at the relay terminals on the DBS-1 which was still enough to drive the Sixpak. Found a laptop supply at 12V
which actually puts out 16V. Hooked that up. Now reads 12V at the relay
terminals on the DBS-1, but drops to 8V when I connect the ICE419.
Sixpak is using the sourcing wiring. Ice419 the sinking.
If I just use the DBS-1 and Sixpak (no ICE419), the Icom setup is working fine also.

Specifically, I am wondering if anyone using this or similar set of band decoders has wired the ICE419 to work with them using the external power jack on the back of the 419 instead of deriving the power from the band decoder via the 8-pin DIN for automatic control on the back of the ICE419 (while still using the rest of the DIN connections and able to use Auto mode)?

I'm thinking of trying an 18V power supply, to see if I can still get at least 10V at the relay terminals driving the Sixpak.
Any ideas appreciated,

Thanks and 73 Darrell AB2E
ab2e at hotmail.com