[CQ-Contest] Rules off the table ?

Richard F DiDonna NN3W richnn3w at verizon.net
Wed Feb 6 00:04:46 EST 2013

On 2/4/2013 2:47 PM, Cqtestk4xs at aol.com wrote:
> I won this year in SOAB U phone.

K1TO won B in 1998; KM9P in 1992; and W2GD in 1978.

> CW: W2TZ, WA3DSZ, W2GD (ALL A OR B) 70-89
> SSB W4AAA, K1BX, N4PN, K4VUD,N4PN, K4XS (ALL A OR B CLASS) 90-09

Those are are all -A- class.  No operator in the Southeast, East, or
Northeast has won the "B" category since 1963.  That should tell you
something.

> SSB: K1EUF, N4MM, K4XS (ALL A OR B CLASS) 70-89
Again, all in the -A- class.

So, in the top level category - Single op High power - since 1970, there
have been 84 opportunities for stations on the east coast to win
Sweepstakes.  It has happened a total of three times.  And two of those
times involved stations in the deep south east.  In other words, W2GD is
the only station in my neck of the woods who has won Sweepstakes.  I
think that's a pretty telling sign that winning Sweeps on the East coast
is a major challenge.  Kind of like winning CQWW from California.

73 Rich NN3W