[CQ-Contest] SS Sundays

Steve London n2icarrl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:15:55 EST 2013

On 02/06/2013 11:42 AM, RT Clay wrote:

> Yes, the fix is simple: shorten the overall length to 24 hours. Still keep a required off time of 6 hours. > The off time is important to allow stations in different parts of the country to choose the best times to > operate (day/night). That is particularly important for small stations. Choosing when to take off is also > part of SS strategy.

I could almost warm up to this. Except I would say get rid of the
required off time. Go 24 hours if that's what you want.

> With 24 hours total the exact start time doesn't matter either as far as propagation- it covers a full day.

0000Z to 2359Z . That should make Sunday more interesting - it will be
the first opportunity for significant high band propagation, and there
would be only one night-time opportunity.

> I'm sure the average qso speed in SS has gone up over the years- computer logging/etc, plus the exchange used to be longer. So it makes sense to make the whole thing shorter.

That is absolutely true. I have listened to recordings from the 1970's.
Much slower. That was the way to pick up the hoards of newly-licensed
General's who could barely do 13 WPM.

> Yes, records get messed up. But they already get messed up every time a new section is added.

Agreed.

If SS is shortened, I could even warm up to grandfathering the old
records and starting new records.

73,
Steve, N2IC