[CQ-Contest] Sumarizing the SS Thread

Rick Lindquist, WW1ME ww1me at roadrunner.com
Thu Feb 7 11:16:06 EST 2013

John, I like your synopsis of this lengthy and sometimes overwrought
discussion, with a couple of caveats.

>Or more focus in QST on the casual op, more detailed coverage of the
winners and top ten strategies in NCJ?

First, QST is highly unlikely to resume publishing line scores. Period. The
decision to drop these was largely editorial - to open up the magazine to
cover a broader spectrum of ham radio activities - and the Board of
Directors signed off on it. There is no "financial staff" per se at ARRL HQ
beyond a CFO and one administrative assistant, but I do not recall ad
revenues playing a role anyway. (Yes, there is a sales and marketing staff.)

Second, NCJ is not an adjunct publication of QST - ie, a place to funnel
editorial overflow, such as the contest line scores QST no longer includes.
The League publishes NCJ, and production takes place at ARRL HQ, but the
editorial intake and "staff" (ie, K4RO and I) are entirely separate, and the
magazine relies on a team of dedicated volunteers. NCJ publishes only the
line scores of events we sponsor (the NAQPs and Sprints), and, if you've
been reading our "Letters to the Editor," not all readers even want to see
those, preferring they only appear on the NCJ website (www.ncjweb.com),
which is entirely separate from the ARRL website.

I thoroughly enjoy the ARRL November Sweepstakes CW and have participated in
nearly every one since the mid-1970s, when the late Ernie Piche, N1SW,
inspired me after I'd gotten on to work a few stations from my extremely
modest setup. I've never considered SS Sundays boring, but, sure, things do
slow down - perhaps egregiously so only for those who demand high run rates
for every single hour to keep their adrenalin flowing. Those of us who
typically post middling scores often are still seeking new mults at that
point, though, and just start working harder. I did quit early last fall,
because conditions here in Down East Maine got too noisy on the low bands to
be enjoyable, but I still managed 540 contacts and logged all but two
sections (all wire antennas here and 100 W).

In 2001 I operated the SS CW from VY1JA in Yukon Territory, typically the
rarest of all SS multipliers. Sunday was plagued by aurora (the sky lit up
bright red on Monday evening), and my run rate became a trickle, then dried
up altogether. So I was forced to S&P among the stations I could actually
hear (mostly W7s). Some ops were stunned to have VY1JA calling THEM (one
sent "Yesssss" when I came back to his CQ). Talk about a slog! It was a
struggle for the rest of the contest, but fun nonetheless. Despite J's
negative prediction, I took the plaque for Canada that year (and still did
not work all sections!). I ran legal limit for Canada (750 W?) into one wire
antenna for all bands.

Some "serious contesters" tend to look down on SS, since it's not a
worldwide contest (the limited inventory of stations is one reason things
start slowing down on Sunday, I'm sure). I find the SS events challenging,
however, if for no other reason than the lengthy exchange, which requires
you to be far more alert than the routine "599 5" does. I would not want to
see any substantive changes in the SS rules, although I realize contest
rules can be dynamic, if only languidly so.

Being somewhat rare in Delaware (WW3DE) for a few years added to my SS
enthusiasm; Maine is not nearly as desirable.

My personal perspective only. No flames please. Thanks!

73, Rick, WW1ME, NCJ Managing Editor/ARRL Staff 1995-2007