[CQ-Contest] BRAVO ZULU, Europe

K0DQ k0dq at analog.org
Thu Feb 21 20:38:25 EST 2013

While we sometimes seem to focus on bad news on this reflector, there's also
some good stuff out there.  In particular, I would like to commend our
European contesting brethren (and sistren - if a power report of 88 is any
indication) for their overall superb performance in ARRL DX CW last weekend.

While it's perhaps old news that contesting activity levels from Europe
(including near Asia) have been on the increase, especially in CW, it also
seems to this observer that there has been a similar increase in the overall
skill level as well.

In discussions with rookie contester, W2GD/P40W, it struck me that operating
this contest at WW1WW was more like operating from the DX end than from the
U.S.  Operating at the NH Battleship yielded a personal best in SOABHP CW
from the US in QSOs (5367 before dupes), hourly rate (60 minute best of 241
- 30 higher than previous best from US), and overall rate (120 for 45
hours).  Others reported similar numbers - results which would have blown us
away not that long ago, whether from the US or DX end.

Obviously, there are many reasons for a particular level of rate -
propagation, activity levels, location, station, etc.  But the common
denominator, whether you're running from W6 or W1, is that your rate also
depends on the other station's skill. One of the primary reasons for this
weekend's results, in my case, was the fact that virtually every QSO
reflected a sharp, fast, and savvy operator who made the exchange with
little or no fuss.  Fills were fast, and to the point, without repeating
unnecessary information.  Even those whose code speed might have been slower
got the info across quickly and efficiently. In fact, I cannot remember a
QSO where I yelled at the transceiver, "I KNOW MY call, tell me YOUR
number."  That has not always been the case!

Additionally, it seemed there were very few poor quality signals.  Often the
bottom ten Khz has sounded like a wild west rodeo of hoofbeats (clicks) and
other strange noises.  Very little of that noted this weekend, anywhere in
the band.

The only recommendation is a familiar one (and not geographically unique):
offset your calling frequency when calling a spot.  The biggest slow down
was on 20 and 15 at morning band opening where multiple very strong signals
were all zero beat.  In that case, 100 hz offset is equal to 30 db signal
strength.

Thanks for the QSOs, shipmates!  Maybe one of these years the US will pass
the DX guys in QSO numbers - 6087 is the official number to beat in ARRL!
It will be fun trying.

73

Scott, K0DQ

Embarked in Battleship New Hampshire (WW1WW)

P.S. As the "Just a boy and his radio" guy will tell you, BZ (BRAVO ZULU) is
the NATO (and other ally) signal for "Well Done!"

P.P.S. Not to be read as a slight to any other groups of operators.  This is
only one for which I have personal data.