[CQ-Contest] CQ 160m SSB contest

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 25 00:21:25 EST 2013

Roger,

The real problem is that there is still no worldwide allocation on 160.
Many in Europe only have 1810 to 1850 and some who do have more of the band
can only run low power (10 watts) above say 1850.  The USA and Canada are
lucky in that we hae the entire band.   I have asked IARU officials many
times to get the IARU countries to make 1800 to 2000 be the band so the
"unofficial" SSB portion can really start at 1843.  I was told it was not
possible by the President of IARU and several IARU Rigional Officials.  Most
of the world do not have a band above 1900 Khz.  I did get one official to
say that he thought we might see 1800 to 1900 be a worldwide band but
probably never up to 2000 khz.

Until this problem is fixed having SSB all over the lower part of the band
will happen 3 or 4 rimes per year.

73 Dave K4JRB
Retired CQ 160 Director