[CQ-Contest] Summarizing the Skimmer Accuracy Thread

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Feb 27 11:03:13 EST 2013

Here is most of an e-mail I sent to Bret this morning.  I took it off
the reflector because I thought at the time that it was too long and
complicated for this audience, but on second thought figured I needed to
tell everyone just where we stand on thistopic.

I just ran the numbers for February 16, the first day of the ARRL CW
test.  The RBN posted 1,957,983 spots that day.

Our analysis used these criteria: same spotter spots the same dx within
5 seconds and the two frequencies differ by more than 2 khz but less
than 100 khz.  We recognized that this skips the second-harmonic case,
but are convinced that it is very uncommon.

We identified 3463 possible wrong-frequency spots, or .17 percent.
Further analysis showed that 97 percent of the identified spots came
from just five Skimmers. Three of those used simple I/Q audio receivers
(Softrock type) while two used QS1Rs.

In many cases, particularly where the simple receivers were used, we
could identify a consistent center frequency between the two spots,
signaling an image problem caused by amplitude or phase errors in the
I/Q output. We worked with all the simple receiver guys to help them
clean up their situations.

The two QS1Rs (out of over 60 regulars contributing to the RBN) continue
to baffle us.  They show images like the simple receivers, with a
defined center frequency, but there's nothing traceable to distinguish
them from the rest of the QS1Rs.  It may be a truly subtle firmware glitch.

As Bret pointed out, not all wrong-frequency spots result from images.
As W3LPL and K3LR found out early on, trying to listen with SDRs while
transmitting can lead to a variety of busts, not only of callsigns but
also of frequencies, as transients from keying can be copied on many
different ones across several bands.  I think it's essential to
effectively disable your receiver while transmitting.

Based on an eyeball review of the data, we also believe that some
stations were using dueling CQs, occupying two run frequencies on the
same band.  Other stations had truly egregious key clicks, which may
have resulted in two spots relatively close together in frequency and
time.  CW Skimmer assumes that you've QSYed and will re-spot you if you
move more than about 300 Hz.

Busted callsign spots are another subject entirely. For 98 percent of
competitors, the ability to filter at the cluster node by spot origin,
as well as the use of filters like the "uniques >x" filter in AR Cluster
V6, will essentially eliminate bad spots. For example, in 10 hours and
1000 mostly S&P QSOs in the ARRL CW, I saw one busted spot, and I ran
every band dry several times, so if they were getting through I would
have seen them.

The other 2 percent of users (including the big multis), with big
antennas, think they will miss things with server side filtering, which
they cannot control. They prefer to get all the raw spots from
everywhere and do their own filtering.

The RBN team is actively reviewing and testing options for
server-side-filtering, while considering the economics of also
continuing to provide a separate, unfiltered spot stream for users who
want that. The discussion here and elsewhere has been very useful, and
we welcome all inputs.  Posting here may not be appropriate at some
level of detail, but either Skimmertalk or RBN-OPS will make sure they
get through to us.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,