[CQ-Contest] Enough of this Nonsense!

Georgek5kg at aol.com Georgek5kg at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 17:06:36 EST 2013

I fully agree with John.

I am always paddle-ready, and I do listen to all F-key sent messages.

73, George.

George  Wagner, K5KG
Sarasota, FL
941-400-1960 cell

In a message dated 1/14/2013 4:46:28 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
k4bai at att.net writes:

I  always have a keyer and paddle in parallel with the computer keying so
that I can respond with the paddle if something happens like the
computer locking up.  I recommend that to everyone.  BTW, it  should be
used when you are being called and don't have the call correctly  into
the logging program. Rather than losing the rhythm and waiting to get
the call correct into the logging system, call the station with the
paddle, let the computer send the exchange, and you can have the call in
correctly before you need to copy the other station's exchange.
Particularly, if you don't use full QSK, you will loose a lot of time if
you wait until everything is perfect in the computer to send the call of
the station you want to answer.  You will probably finally start  sending
his call when he starts to give his call again, you two will  "double"
and there will be silence when you finish the  exchange.

Bottom line: to be really efficient in running, you need a  paddle ready
to go whenever the computer isn't ready and you need to  always use QSK
(if your amplifier has QSK).  If you don't have a QSK  amplifier, you
should get one or get a QSK-5 or equivalent and use it with  your amplifier.

This applies whether your are SO2R or  SO1R.

Another important check is to be sure that your F keys send what  you
think they should be sending.  This is really essential if you  are not
going to hear what the computer is sending during the  contest.  Several
times lately, I have heard top rank stations start  a contest with the CQ
message using one call and the TU message using a  different call.
Obviously the operator was not monitoring what his  computer was sending
and couldn't know how confusing he was to everyone  trying to call.  I
recommend listening to your computer sending  during the contest, but if
you can't stand to do that (and I understand  how it might complicate
SO2R) at least listen to the programmed messages  before the contest
starts and make sure the call being sent is always the  same call.

73,

John,  K4BAI.
CQ-Contest  mailing  list
CQ-Contest at contesting.com