[CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted

Michael Adams mda at n1en.org
Sat Jan 26 16:41:31 EST 2013

I wonder if that's really the right way to interpret those figures.

I wonder (and this is pure speculation on my part) if the higher rate of
assistance among high power users might be related somehow to what
operators do to maximize score.

If you are serious about maximizing score, you are more likely to be
tempted to use additional tools at your resource, be it the use of amps,
stacks of antennas, SO2R, and the clusters.

If you are playing just for fun, perhaps you are less likely to pursue such
tactics.

Those are imperfect correlations.  I realize there are reasons beyond being
competitive / maximizing score that one might or might not choose to use
the cluster, operate at high power, etc....but perhaps those correlations
are just strong enough to help explain the differences.

I am one of the folks who play just for fun.  With one or two exceptions,
the only person I'm competing against is myself, trying to meet whatever
arbitrary goal I'm pursuing this weekend.   I have a very modest station --
no amp, just a couple of wires -- so I feel no frustration that folks with
better stations and more experience than I can completely trounce me in the
results.

I really enjoy using the cluster during CW contests.  With a
click-and-pounce strategy, decent propagation, and well-set filters, I can
frequently get nice, adrenalin-inducing rates, without having to fight to
hold a run frequency.  It's fun to me.  It's also definitely not the same
as tuning around to stumble across a surprise multiplier, as one might do
when S&P-ing unassisted.

So, put my name down among those who would like to see SO(A) recognized as
a discrete entry class (as opposed to being treated as multi-op), at least
in those contests that aren't specifically aiming for "a boy and his radio"
ambiance.

But I wouldn't go so far as to merge SO and SO(A).

Even if at the highest levels, assistance might not make that big a
difference, for those of us in the middle, who might derive some pleasure
at seeing just where in the middle we might lie, there is enough difference
in operating assisted vs unassisted to merit the distinction.

--
*Michael D. Adams* (N1EN)
 Poquonock, Connecticut | mda at n1en.org