[CQ-Contest] Non-assisted & Assisted

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:10:32 EST 2013

I leave it up to the organizers to figure out how many categories and
subcategories they want to keep track of. If they want to lump
assisted and non-assisted together, fine. If they want to lump
assisted with multi-op, fine. If they want to completely ban
assistance, fine.I work tests right now that fall into all the above
categories. And while I sometimes use assistance, if that were banned,
I'd participate just as well and not use assistance (and who knows, I
might get a higher score! I am not yet convinced in any test I have
entered... that assistance results in a net higher score, I think I am
only beginning to figure out how to not get a lower score while using
assistance.)

If they want to send out certificates in each of twelve categories to
each of 83 different sections, that's fine. If they don't want to send
out any certificates but only publish scores in descending order,
that's fine.

I myself will participate in all the same tests no matter how the
categories and subcategories are re-done.

It is kind of cool, from a participation encouragement standpoint, for
the organizers to send out certificates to both big and little gun
participants before the next years' running of the contest, and this
is in line with a large number of categories. I think this encourages
us to participate again. A listing of scores (not just the big ones,
but all of them) in a magazine (whether it be NCJ or CQ) would have a
similar effect. I don't actually hang the certificates on the wall (at
least not for long) but I do appreciate them and they help remind me,
all the work that contest organizers are doing to promote the hobby.

Tim N3QE