[CQ-Contest] New shack computer?

Gerry Hull gerry at yccc.org
Sun Jul 7 09:16:37 EDT 2013

Under Windows 7 64-bit, 32-bit applications run fine under the WOW layer of
64-bit Wndows. (The 32-bit apps get installed in the Program Files (x86)
directory.)

Where you can run into problems is with device drivers.  You can't use a
32-bit driver in a 64-bit machine.  However, there are plenty of 64-bit
drivers for stuff like USB-to-serial adapters and things of that nature.
(Of course, 32-bit programs can talk to 64-bit drivers; this is why N1MM
etc runs find under 64-bit Windows and it talks to USB Serial ports fine.)

Windows 8 takes things a bit further -- under it's default security, it
will not let applications write to the applications folder unless the user
had Administrative privilege to make these changes (not the same as
Administrative login rights).  You can elevate the privilege during
install.     (The programs will work, but files written to an application
folder will be re-written to the logged-in users personal folders.  If the
software is looking for files in a particular directory, this won't work.
So rather than mess with all that, stick with Windows 7, as it works
flawlessly with almost all ham software of varying "bitness."

73, Gerry W1VE (AKA Senior Software Engineer in my day job - deal with this
stuff every day)