[CQ-Contest] CT1BOH error free RBN - its not about filtering its about quality tag

José Nunes CT1BOH ct1boh at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 08:13:49 EDT 2013

I think a clarification is needed regarding the so called CT1BOH error free
RBN algorithm
In order to do that let me first put all relevant "boxes" in this contest
eco-system:

   1. Contest signals on the bands
   2. SDR receivers that provide two outputs
      1. SDR's recording of the audio of all the bands for later playback
      2. Call, frequency, time, SNR,.., data from Skimmers to feed
      "cluster" networks
   3. Cluster networks (RBN, Human feed networks,...)
   4. Contest loggers
   5. Contesters

The purpose of CT1BOH error free RBN algorithm is to provide a "Quality
Tag" next to each spot originating from RBN in order to have "later down
the line" a clean band map
My algorithm provides the following tags:

   - Good spot
   - Good call, frequency?
      - The majority of these spots come from I/Q image problem from
      skimmers that inject bad frequency spots into the RBN
      - The first and the second spots when a station QSY's to a new
      frequency, until the third spot becomes a "Good Spot"
   - ?Spot
      - Some of these spots come from people answering CQ calls and skimmer
      wrongly think they are calling CQ
      - The first and the second spots when a station starts a run, until
      the third spot becomes a "Good Spot"
   - Busted spots

I will repeat:
The purpose of my algorithm is just to provide a quality tag next to the
RBN spot.

Now relevant questions like the ones below should be asked:

The RAW output with the quality tag of RBN should be available?

I think yes.

If a user want to filter RBN spots according to the quality tag should he
be able to do that?

I think yes.

A filter output without some of the quality tags should be available from
RBN servers?

Some would like to have RBN without just the Busted Spots
Some would like to have RBN witout Busted, "?Spots" and "Good call, freq?"
spots

Should the user have options to act upon RBN data?

Yes. For example. A user should be able to decide he wants to reject all
the "?spots" and "Good Call, frequency?" spots from zones 13,14,14,16 and
accept from all other zones

Should this last type of more complex filtering be on the RBN server side
or on the logger side?

I think these type of complex option should be done on the logger side, but
I don't have a definite answer.

etc.
These question for sure will be address in the best manner by RBN team of
whom I have great confidence.

The astute reader will ask, why did I mention SDR recording of the audio of
all the bands for later playback in the ecosystem?
I was the one who pushed K3EST to implement open log policy for CQWW
Contest.
Today basically only Contest Committees are using audio SDR recording to go
back and listen to QSO to check suspect logs.
I have a vision that one day several SDR will provide the audio output and
we will have open audio SDR connected to open logs for the advancement of
contesting know how.

See the QSO in the open log, listen to the QSO in the SDR palyback.

73 José Nunes
CT1BOH

--
José Nunes