[CQ-Contest] : Reverse beacon of my own call?

Bob Naumann W5OV at W5OV.COM
Thu Jul 25 08:04:15 EDT 2013

Iain,

I'm afraid your interpretation is dependent on presumptions that have no
basis in the specific wording of the rules in question.

As I quoted earlier, (paraphrased now to avoid being redundant) single ops
are precluded from using "any" type of assistance. (Simple, eh?)

In an unfortunate choice of words, it specifically says "QSO Alerting
Assistance" but to the CQWW's credit, this "QSO Alerting Assistance" term is
expanded and defined very clearly elsewhere in the rules so no one needs to
interpret anything. This term has a specific meaning in the context of the
rules that again, needs no interpretation.

In that definition, it spells out clearly that the use of RBN (among other
listed technologies) is precluded for single ops. There's no interpretation
needed.  That is exactly what it says.

The chosen wording was specifically intended NOT to only preclude specific
technologies because it was anticipated that someone could call another form
of assistance some other name to avoid being covered.

The actual preclusion phrase is : " It includes, but is not limited to, use
of DX cluster, packet, local or remote call sign and frequency decoding
technology (e.g., CW Skimmer or Reverse Beacon Network), or operating
arrangements involving other individuals".

 I don't think there is any way that RBN's presence in that list of
precluded technologies can be denied or interpreted to not apply.

73,

Bob W5OV
(I enter most contests as ASSISTED)

CQWW Rules:  http://www.cqww.com/rules.htm