[CQ-Contest] The trouble with defining "assistance"

Bob Naumann W5OV at W5OV.COM
Fri Jul 26 09:18:26 EDT 2013

>From time to time, usually following a discussion like the recent "can I use
RBN to see how I'm getting out but remain unassisted", I have previously
proposed that the contest community stop trying to define what constitutes
"assistance" or "QSO alerting assistance" and instead focus on a clear
definition of what Single Operator is.

(This is focused on CW and SSB:  RTTY is clearly different but the same
principles can be applied with some modification.  RTTY and other digital
operation is a different discussion.)

To me, this is a much simpler task, and much less likely to create
controversy and misunderstandings.

To me, it's very simple.

A Single operator performs all activities related to putting qsos in his
log. That includes making operating strategy decisions (what band to be on
when), the locating, identifying and decoding of transmissions that
ultimately end up in a transcription of what occurred in the log file.

In that definition, there is no room for someone else (no local or remote
additional operators), or some other technology, whether hardware or
software to do ANYTHING for the operator directly related to his on-air
activities.

I also think that for a true single operator, there is no justification for
his use of the Internet or other non-amateur means for *any* amateur-radio
related purpose.

While this might be a slippery slope of its own, I would not want the rules
to preclude (for example) that someone couldn't look at "weatherchannel.com"
to see if a thunderstorm was approaching. I'd prefer that he have an
in-shack TV for that purpose, but the rules should be reasonable.

But, given that he should be doing everything related to determining his
operating strategy and finding all stations to work and putting callsigns in
his log, what possible reason would there be for him to access ANY *amateur
radio related* resources on the Internet?

None that I can think of.

For WWV #'s; 5, 10, or 15 MHz works well at 18 minutes after the hour. A
single op can get this information over the air 48 times during a typical
2-day contest.

To me this clearly precludes things like "blind skimmer", packet, SO2SDR,
RBN, or whatever may be invented tomorrow.

Band scopes *do not* fit this description. While they do present a visual
representation of all signals on a band (a 'broadband S-Meter', really),
they just put it all there without any intelligence. It's not *doing*
anything for the operator - even a lovely Elecraft P3.

So, either you are a single operator where you do *everything*, or you're
not. Very simple.

So, for me, my suggested definitions are as follows:

     *   Single Operator:

        One operator who alone determines his operating strategy and
performs all radio operating activities including locating, identifying, and
decoding transmissions that lead to callsigns and exchanges being
transcribed into his log,

        A single operator does not use the internet or any other non-amateur
radio means for any contest related activity.

     *   Single Operator Assisted:

        One operator who alone performs all radio operating activities and
utilizes any other methods of determining operating strategy and/or
locating, identifying, and decoding transmissions that lead to callsigns and
exchanges being transcribed into his log.

        This includes, but is not limited to, Internet-based resources such
as RBN, spotting networks of any type, Remote Station Operation,
scoreboards, etc. as well as local software and hardware systems such as
skimmer, blind-skimmer, SO2SDR etc.

This is a somewhat different approach, but after analyzing this literally
for years, I think this may be the solution to the debate.

>From my perspective, this is what was really intended all along for defining
Single Operator vs. Single Op Assisted.

Bob Naumann W5OV