[CQ-Contest] Antw: Re: ARRL fieldday reports at RBN (reversed beacon network)

M. WIJK pa5mw at home.nl
Mon Jun 24 05:19:28 EDT 2013

To support Peter's statement on s/n differences due to different antennas to the receiver and local noise, I can add the following:

Local background noise can matter, a lot.

A friend of mine recently build his NCDXF HF beacon Monitoring receiver system at his QRL site.
During the first few weeks of operation we noted a large difference in s/n receiving peformance between his site (antenna between low buildings in the open country) vs my location ( tiny back garden in a city). His omni receiving antenna is slightly different from mine. The other difference is that my city location is severely hampered by a lot of local background noise.

See at below weblinks what these two variables (RX antenne differences and local noise) already offer large differences in s/n:

http://monitorstation.ccms-best.nl/
http://pa5mw.com/

73 Mark, PA5MW