[CQ-Contest] [YCCC] Why ARRL SSB Contest is Not My Favorite

k1vv at comcast.net k1vv at comcast.net
Wed Mar 6 16:45:28 EST 2013

We don't think we will ever get bored with ham radio..... even after 58 years on the bands ....

It still has that "mysterious" something to it ........

If I make noise or blow a horn ... or even flash a light .... some one may hear or see it 4 or 5 houses away ...

Yet with no more power than a 100 watt light bulb .... which you might see a mile away on a clear night ....

I can talk to to some one 12,000 miles away ....

There is "nothing" else like it that I can do sitting in my home .....

I do not have to leave the house .... do not need special shoes ...weather is not an issue ...

I do not need some one on the other side of a net ....

.....or try to put a small white ball into a hole in the ground ... with totally inadequate tools .

...... something I would never get good at .. no matter how many years .....

We can achieve many personal goal that no one cares about but me ... WAS WAC ... DXCC... Honor Roll .. etc..

And above all that it is STILL FUN ..... Contests .... DX ... State QSO Parties ...Lighthouse Operating ..

There is always something ....

KB Whitey K1VV / W1AA