[CQ-Contest] Improving voice recordings for phone contests

Tom Osborne w7why at frontier.com
Fri Mar 8 11:49:38 EST 2013

I worked for hours trying to get this to sound right.  You can make it sound
OK until you work a station like N2SSS where the letters in the prefix are
all that same.  Repeating the same letter really sounds weird!  I just never
could get it to sound natural.  73
Tom W7WHY

I think one problem with this is that we tend to end an utterance on a
downward intonation.  I wonder if the voicing might be improved to
include initial, mid-phrase and end intonations.  Short of that the only
thing I can suggest is to trim your letters and numbers really closely.
Audacity lets you zoom in and get the last millisecond of dead air.

73, Pete N4ZR