[CQ-Contest] Contest spotting

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Sat Mar 9 21:37:59 EST 2013

I'm pretty sure he asked what would happen if nobody used cluster spots,
and the various online clusters have just about replaced VHF packet
systems for the great majority of users.  I can also guarantee that
casual contesters are not going to be thinking about setting up remote
receivers and multiple stations.

I almost never use spotting clusters simply because I prefer not to, but
I think it is way more than coincidence that the rise in contesting
popularity has roughly paralleled the expansion in online clusters of
various types, whether it's due to casual contesters looking for rich
fields of DX or casual contesters looking to maximize their fun (making
contacts) in a short period of time.

To be honest, I've never understood all this rabid animosity toward
cluster users.  They undeniably add activity to the bands and they
compete in their own categories.  Anyone who disapproves of cluster
users loses NOTHING from their existence.  Every time I see one of these
threads I picture grumpy, disenfranchised old men lamenting the fact
that not everyone sees the world through their glasses.

Dave   AB7E