[CQ-Contest] A puzzle

Randy Thompson K5ZD k5zd at charter.net
Sat Mar 23 11:00:55 EDT 2013

The WPX SSB is traditionally held the last full weekend of March.  Been that
way for a long time.

As his been pointed out, Easter moves around.  Sometimes the two occur on
the same weekend.  It has some impact on the activity pattern, but the
contest still does very well.

Could the contest be moved to accommodate years with 5 weekends in March AND
Easter?  Perhaps...

There are people in the world who schedule vacation or trips in advance for
the big contests.  They often know the contests are on the last weekend and
work from that knowledge.  Could cause some confusion if the contest was
moving around.  Of course, we could probably solve this by publishing the
dates for the next 10 years.

Long story short.  The contest administrator blindly followed tradition and
didn't think about the collision or changing the dates far enough in
advance.  We should get a new guy to handle this stuff so it can be done
properly.

Randy, K5ZD