[CQ-Contest] How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

Joe nss at mwt.net
Wed Mar 27 18:05:34 EDT 2013

Really?
I find it hard to believe that so few do the whole 48 hours.

Now today of course I could never ever do this. But when I was young, (
a long time ago) I was in my teens when I did this.  MY CQWW weekend
would be this.

Wake up at 5 AM Friday morning andgo to work, Work Starts at 6 AM

Work till 3 PM

Go Home

Eat Something

Drive 1.5 hours to buddy's house with the BIG station.

Get ready with everything, plenty of pencils sharpened, paper logs and
dupe sheets all set, Yes I did say a long time ago.

Start Contest

Run the entire contest all 48, with only ummm,  litter box breaks? no
naps, no breaks, nothing,,,

contest ends

eat pizza and drink Beer with buddy the station owner. Drink more Beer,,

finally leave for home

get home at midnight, take shower, decompress, and go to bed.

Get up at 5 AM Monday morning 4 hours later and go to work and not feel
any the worse for wear.

Just the way I was, and even still was 30 years later able to do this,
when I got into this form of contesting. 48 hours? Peanuts!
48 hours sitting at a desk? Thats a vacation, it is taking a 48 hour nap!

Try 7 to 10 DAYS!!

Yes I said 7 to 10 days, in a competition, no breaks, if you take a
break the next team may get ahead of you.

If you get too tired at CQWW you fall asleep at the desk.  In these
events you may DIE!

Check these out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7eRxNPQKbM&feature=share&list=PL3CAE0B086A57BDB2

Now he he he, with messes up knees, i'm lucky i can walk a mile now.

And contesting Single OP a 7 hour sprint wastes me.

Joe WB9SBD

Sig
The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com
On 3/26/2013 7:00 AM, Stan Stockton wrote:
> It would be interesting to know whether there is some maximum number of hours (for single operators only) that would cause many of those who play around for 20-30 hours to go all in.
>
> How many don't give it a full effort because they can't go 46 but would make the attempt to go 40, for example?  I wouldn't recommend less than about 40 or 42 max but would think it might be a positive to have some required off time if the end result was more activity overall.  Looks like only 3% (less than 150 out of 5,000) operate even as many as 36 hours.
>
> There are some who are passionate about the 48 hours but it can't be many.
>
> Stan, K5GO
>

> On Mar 25, 2013, at 2:53 PM, David Gilbert <xdavid at cis-broadband.com> wrote:
>
>> Great info, Doug.
>>
>> That's only the results from the people who submitted logs, right? I'd bet that the curve is skewed even more toward fewer hours for the people who did not submit a log, and I wonder how many of those would be more inclined to submit a log if categories existed for fewer hours.   I suspect quite a few.
>>
>> 73,
>> Dave   AB7E
>>

>> On 3/25/2013 4:07 AM, kr2q at optimum.net wrote:
>>> Toivo, ES2RR asked how many "iron men" there are.
>>>
>>> Here are the "iron man" results from a recent CQWW SSB contest.
>>>
>>> First column (left) is hours operated (2 hours groups).
>>>
>>> The second column (middle) is number of entrants
>>>
>>> The last column (right) is the percentage of those shown
>>> (which is limited to SOAB entrants only, all power groups, assisted or not).
>>>
>>> "0" in the first row means "too few QSOs over too many hours to calculate."
>>>
>>> I don't know the algorithm used to calculate non-operating hours.
>>>
>>> Hope the table below "lines up" OK
>>>
>>> de Doug KR2Q
>>>

>>> 0    22    0.4%
>>> 2    540    11.0%