[CQ-Contest] A 24-hour category? was: Re: How many hours do SOAB entrants actually operate?

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Fri Mar 29 10:32:53 EDT 2013

Pete,
I suspect that you'd see an upswing in activity, and an upswing in logs turned in (both competitive and check logs) in most weekend/48 hour contests that would add a Single Op 24 hour time-limited category.
It might not make a difference to many of the top-notch contesters who inhabit this forum, but as has been noted previously, there are a lot more contesters out there than members of this reflector. Further, I believe thatany hams who think they have 'no' reasonable chance to win their section or call zone would rethink if they had that reasonable chance handed to them, with a time-limited category.
IIRC, most past proposals to add this to various contests have bogged down in the details... is it a continuous 24 hour period (and if so, when?) or 24 hours cumulative over the course of the contest?
Offhand, I'd say 24 hours cumulative, which means that there's some strategies involved in deciding which bands to operate at what times to try and maximize one's score.
I think it would be a lot of fun to try it!
73, ron w3wn