[CQ-Contest] Is the wpx a prefix test or dx contest?

Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Thu May 9 18:41:05 EDT 2013

I read this list near-daily, but seldom post.  I just thought I would dip my
toe in the water on this one.

So nobody thinks I am slagging NQ4I directly, let me just say I believe he
runs a top notch show and has some great ops.

No question.

-------------

I thoroughly enjoyed Tom, VE3CX's post..go back and reread it people.

http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2013-05/msg00081.html
<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/html/CQ-Contest/2013-05/msg00081.html>

Also,

ZL2HAM said:

".Instead, move toward using grid squares and distance, as

in Stew Perry. That wouldn't preclude having an additional multiplier of

some kind, such as prefixes in WPX."

It's why I enjoy the STEW PERRY so much.  It's still not exactly an even
playing field,(but it's very close) as VK's, ZL's, JA's, are still at a
disadvantage, as they are pretty far from anywhere, so smaller stations
would suffer.  LP, QRP and antenna challenged folks in EU or NA can still
work oodles of folks and rack up a decent score.

Currently I run 90% all low wire antennas ( I do have a vy small, low yagi
on 10m), but try not to complain too loudly about folks living closer to EU
than I am, running more power and mega antennas.  I also try not to complain
too loudly when we have an Auroral disturbance during a contest and the W4's
are working EU's one after another and we hear little to nothing.

Hey, it happens.  It is what it is.  Want more EU's? Move closer to EU.
Don't want to move? Enter different contests.

Should we change the rules?

Nope! (not unless we go to grid squares)..that I would agree to ! HI HI

Mike VE9AA