[CQ-Contest] field day aux gear power source

Jack Brindle jackbrindle at me.com
Wed May 15 14:18:05 EDT 2013

Maybe not. If the computer is connected to the radio and directly controls it (such as telling it to send CQ or the exchange), then it becomes part of the radio and should be included on the radio power system. If you want to run the computer from mains power, do not connect it to the radio.

Power meters (output power and SWR) generally don't need power if you use the old-fashioned ones with meter. If they need dc power to run the display, then they, too, are part of the radio and should be powered from the radio supply.

In the WVARA AB efforts we are very careful as to what gets run from battery and what doesn't. Fans (during the day) are just about the only thing that doesn't get battery power. We operate from a nature preserve, and there is nothing but the batteries we provide between sundown and sunup (no generators allowed in the preserve during that time period). Non-radio items (normally just lighting at night, may also include a small fan) is generally run from non-radio batteries.

In general, though, if it is something that controls the radio, it runs on the battery supply. That includes the radio, auto tuners, power / SWR meters, control computers, antenna switchers, keyers, and the like. In a "real" emergency, these _would_ be powered by the emergency supply. And yes, a computer might be in use for these things at time. Keeping a record of passed emergency traffic is awfully important.

Jack Brindle, W6FB

Sent from my iPad