[CQ-Contest] Will there be anyone to work in 20 years?

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Sat May 25 18:50:44 EDT 2013

Most of the new hams are interested in Emergency Communications or Fox
hunts.  It is up to the DX and Contest clubs to cultivate their interest in
Contesting.

Back in the mid 1990's I hosted Weblos
scouts for JOTA.  Out of 6 I found 4 were interested and did get their morse
code badge which meant they could tell you what each letter was in morse.
Of the 4 interested 2 soon lost interest and 2
decided to get their technician license.  One Dad who was the VP of the HOA
in the subdivision next to me told me ham radio was illegal in their
subdivision so his son dropped out.  The remaining scout did get his license
but moved away with his family.  His dad and he are now General Class but
again live in a Restricted subdivision so are active only on 2 meters.
CC&R's is a major roadblock to the supply of new hams in the USA.   We have
to work harder to build the supply of young hams yet alone new contesters.

Dave K4JRB