[CQ-Contest] will there be anybody to work in 20 years????????

bill bill at w9ol.com
Sun May 26 16:27:08 EDT 2013

As a semi retired (only a part time contester) contester who tries to
work at least a hundred or so contacts over a weekend as often as I can,
I may not have the chops to make a comment about the future.

I don't think the emphasis should be on recruiting kids (or adults) to
become a contester.
First we have to get new people into Ham Radio!!!

I was just a new ham kid, invited to come out to the W9NZM super
station. I spent a few hours trying to improve my cw copying skills
listening to Don Miller one Saturday.
Don would do his own logging and paper Dupe sheets while looking at what
I was writing down on my paper.
I never did or will achieve his skill level.
But in my opinion, getting an existing ham to watch/help a pro in action
may be the most productive method of having someone to work in 20 years.
At least it turned me on.

Find those that want to be a Ham FIRST, THAT'S TOUGH ENOUGH these days;
then get them started into contesting, however small.
Ask them to come over some weekend and help you for an hour or two.

--

All your lines have daughtered out, with one exception!