[CQ-Contest] When is speed not speedy?

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Mon May 27 12:16:18 EDT 2013

Depends on what setup he was using. At my own station, I use a
TS-850SAT with built-in keyer and knob on the front. I just crank the
knob back and forth. I do this a lot in contests to adjust to the
other guy's speed. But I've used stations where the code speed is
built into a menu - you have to find the menu, open the correct item,
change the speed and close it just to modify the code speed. It's a
pain in the tuchis.

Also, my keyer I use on portable operations requires holding down a
button, sending a character in Morse which opens a CW "menu" item in
the keyer, then send the new speed in Morse to the keyer. Also a pain
so I usually just leave it set at 20 or 22 wpm.

73, Zack W9SZ