[CQ-Contest] Busted Reversed Beacon Network spots

David Aslin david at aslinvc.com
Mon May 27 13:33:00 EDT 2013

I decided to operate WPX CW in 'classic' mode - no skimmer, no spots, no SCP,
no band map, nada. Just a boy, his radio, a paddle and a dipole.
As Toivo puts it "S&P the old fashioned way by turning the knob and listening".
Even with the punk conditions (very few runs to be had with LP this year) this
was huge fun and sharpened my S & P skills for the next one.
Result: 1000 Qs 589 mults for 1.84m and a likely new UK record/top 5 placing
worldwide in SOSB 40m LP with 100W and a wire dipole.
Skill & experience trumps technology... allegedly ;-)
73
Dave G3WGN
M0C in WPX

Hello,

I worked the CQ WPX CW from ES9C M/M team and I was doing almost exclusively
S&P. At first I was really frustrated with the abnormally high number of
busted spots  - at times more than half of the spots in the band map were
wrong - and eventually I didn't bother looking at the band map anymore but
did lots of S&P the old fashioned way by turning the knob and listening.
Then I realized that there might be a positive aspect to it. This could
actually separate again the real CW-operators from the
"click-and-shoot-no-listening" guys. Even though it must be frustrating to
the guys whose calls are busted like Steef here, it was quite amusing to
listen to well-known stations piling up on a fresh exotic spot. There'll be
lots of dupes and hundreds of logs full of busted calls.

73, Toivo, ES2RR

--------------------

[CQ-Contest] Busted Reversed Beacon Network spots
from [Steef
<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=%2Bfrom%3Aste
efpa3s%40gmail.com&idxname=CQ-Contest&sort=date%3Alate> ]       [Permanent
Link
<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/cgi-bin/mesg.cgi?a=CQ-Contest&i=CA%2BB
j_Z5kGqZj9apEe0%3D-bVqHz%2B44Gt%3DEoPsWuW90N%2BrWqHsUZg%40mail.gmail.com>
][Original
<http://lists.contesting.com/archives/cgi-bin/extract-mesg.cgi?a=CQ-Contest&;
m=2013-05&i=CA%2BBj_Z5kGqZj9apEe0%3D-bVqHz%2B44Gt%3DEoPsWuW90N%2BrWqHsUZg%40
mail.gmail.com> ]