[CQ-Contest] Can Reverse Beacon Network skimmers get overloaded?

Jack Haverty. k3fiv at arrl.net
Tue May 28 14:14:58 EDT 2013

Hi Pete,

I've noticed the same thing.  My 100W-and-wire signal gets picked up
by skimmers just before a contest, but after the starting gun I hardly
ever get spotted.

Has anyone done tests to measure the "capture" behavior of CW Skimmer?
 By that I mean something like setting up three stations, and
measuring how well CWS "captures" a weaker signal wedged between two
stronger ones.  How far apart do they have to be, as a function of
relative signal strength, for a signal to be recognized for subsequent
decoding -- that kind of stuff.   One explanation might be that the
crowded conditions of contest bands simply cause the software to miss
the weaker signals as it "scans" the band for things to decode.   The
Morse system I built back in the 70s had such behavior; it used PLLs
to lock on to signals, and nearby stronger signals would prevent it
ever locking on to a weaker signal, even though the weaker one was
quite audible. (We improved things by using very narrow filters and
time-reversal of the data stream to pull out marks and spaces)

73,
/Jack de K3FIV