[CQ-Contest] WPX CW

Jim Jordan, K4QPL k4qpl at nc.rr.com
Thu May 30 12:51:12 EDT 2013

I generally operate LP or even QRP. It's not often that I find someone
deliberately trying to take over even my less than rock crusher run
frequency. More often than not a) both of us were running on the same
frequency and propagation changes so we merge. (Happens all the time on 80M
at night; b) Stations don't hear each other but callers do; c) because my
signal is weak they assume theirs is also and it won't interfere d) He's
actually 150 Hz off my frequency with rx DSP and roofing filters squeezed.
That doesn't bother me too much on crowded bands. Unfortunately, callers
using spots or poor technique don't always call on frequency which is why
most of the time when running we widen the passband beyond what is really
necessary with a good receiver.

For all the above plus the ones who know they're bullying me, I summon up
all my limited pile-up copying ability and do my best to just keep on
working my callers. Unlike road traffic, there are no bent fenders for
refusing to yield. Nothing drives 'em nuts more than finding they aren't
successful and often they'll move on. As a last resort against the obvious
800 kg gorilla, when I surrender, I might respond to his CQ on "my"
frequency, but surprise, surprise, that QSO sometimes just doesn't make it
into my log. (Possibly it's a glitch caused by me having to switch from run
to S&P and I'm very sorry that he may get a 3x NIL penalty for that. Maybe
when he sees the LCR it will ring a bell.)