[CQ-Contest] You want instant I. D. s ?

Charles Harpole hs0zcw at gmail.com
Tue Nov 12 01:26:51 EST 2013

Steve, I read 97.119(b)(1) to apply only when using CW Morse to identify.
My GS system would not use Morse, it being too slow.  Likely, the FCC would
want instructions on how to decode what the GS really sends, just like NSA
wants to decode Skype.  In hams case, we would hand over that info gladly.
P.S.  Part 97 only applies to the USA.
73, Charly, titular inventor of the GS identifying system, awaiting
technological development.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Steve London <n2icarrl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Buried in the FCC rules is a 20 WPM limit on automatic devices used only
> for identification:
>
> 97.119(b)(1)
>
> (1) By a CW emission. When keyed by an automatic device used only for
> identification, the speed must not exceed 20 words per minute
>
> Since, presumably, the user is also ID'ing on phone, maybe this wouldn't
> apply.
>
> 73,
> Steve, N2IC
>

> On 11/08/2013 05:37 PM, k3it wrote:
>
>> I think this came up before. If a 2m repeater can identify itself with
>> morse code, why can't an SSB operator? One could send a conventional CW CQ
>> every five minutes or so, and takes only about 5 seconds to ID at 40 RPM.
>>   Should be enough to get spotted by RBN.
>>
>> The problem is many skimmers today don't monitor phone segments. And
>> nobody
>> is expecting to see RBN spots there.  But just an idea...:)
>>
>> Vasiliy
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM,<dave at g4buo.com>  wrote:
>>
>>  This would be a multi-mode transmission which, in a single-mode SSB
>>> contest, would get you DQed.
>>>
>>> 73, Dave G4BUO
>>>
>>>  -----Original Message----- From: Charles Harpole

>>> call