[CQ-Contest] Propagation and log analysis in preparation for contests

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Nov 15 07:59:30 EST 2013

Seems to me the state-of-the-art approach to contest propagation
involves two tools, with due understanding of their relative strengths
and weaknesses:

ViewProp - up to the minute, actual propagation, but results depend on
the availability of RBN stations and others to provide the data, which
varies considerably.  Activity patterns may also vary considerably on
contest weekends - how many of us stay up till 3 AM local time on a
non-contest night?

VOACAP (online or stand-alone) - predictions are 30-day averages, and
cannot take into account day-to-day fluctuations and events, but are
based on many years' study and understanding of HF propagation.
Coverage maps are a great starting point for planning, and the online
service makes this the easiest tool to use - thanks, guys!

My personal preference is to do coverage maps as Martin does, and then
to run ViewProp right up to (or through) the contest weekend to catch
deviations from the predictions, opportunities for hard mults, etc.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.