[CQ-Contest] Why?

Ken Claerbout k4zw at verizon.net
Mon Nov 25 13:22:23 EST 2013

"It's to make up for all the times when they are running and don't send theircall. Those times must be made up for in pileups to even out the karma. :)"
And when the station got around to signing their call, you could always count on a few people with happy trigger fingers that would start calling on top of him.  Someone has to explain to me how the guy is going to hear you when he's still transmitting.  That would be a game changer.

I think we need to start giving unassisted ops a handful of free "lookups" for the weekend, kind of like a challenge in the NFL or free drink coupons, 5 - 10 per weekend.  You could enter a frequency to query a database and it would give you the call(s) of the station(s) spotted there.  Taking it one step further, you could then click the call with your mouse and it would be transferred into your log. No need to type it in or even confirm the call.  Oh, wait.....

I get it if someone does this with a big pile up or every other QSO from time to time.  But ending many QSO's with something like TU or dit dit plain sucks.  It's bad operating practice and it really screws with us dinosaurs that still enjoy relying on our ears.  There's not much the committee can do and I'm not sure I would want them too.  Other than that, a great weekend!

Ken, K4ZW