[CQ-Contest] Where to Draw the Line was: Re: Does Using ViewProp Make You Assisted

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Wed Nov 27 19:31:12 EST 2013

Is it time?

The real question is can any new rules be enforced.  ZL2HAM could create
a Contest mode but do we know who is using it?  We have packet but we
don't know who is really using it.  Heck in a CW contest we have found
that maybe the op we think is running really isn't.  Power? Who is doing
it right and who is doing it wrong?

We can create more rules but the problem to me is that without honesty
and integrity among the group we have nothing.  We hear more about
cheating now than we ever did but we now live in a society where new
travels instantly.  Most everyone can be in the know if they want to.  I
think cheating has been going on for a long long time and will continue,
rules or otherwise.

There are always going to be bad guys.  Bad guys don't follow rules in
contests nor the laws of the land no matter how many laws or rules there
are.

If the goal is to better define assisted vs unassisted then I think yes
we are way over due in how we look at things.

We also have to acknowledge what technologies exists, what is coming.
We have to write rules that can be enforced.

What I believe will happen some day soon and we are already seeing this
is that there will be single op and multi op.  There will be no assisted
or unassisted.

Mike W0MU