[CQ-Contest] Where to Draw the Line was: Re: Does Using ViewProp Make You Assisted

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 21:31:20 EST 2013

I agree 100% with what Mark wrote.

There is no legitimate reason to force everyone to compete in a category that many or most currently choose not to enter when given a choice.

This past weekend I have no specific, lasting memory of a single RBN spot I clicked on to work a new multiplier and I clicked on hundreds of them.  We obviously used the RBN since we were in Multi Single category. However, I do remember (and will for a long time) getting lucky while turning the big knob and actually hearing a CE station call CQ on 160, work him for a double multiplier and oddly not see any skimmer receivers ever pick up his CQ.  I know we have to move forward and can't go backward but imagine how much more enjoyable the contest may be for those single operators who have 50 or 100 such memories by entering in a category where the DX isn't served up on a platter by a code copying machine whether it is local or a network of such devices.

I have yet to hear a good argument for taking away a lot of the fun that many get out of contesting by FORCING them use a technology that provides a list of stations to work in order to be competitive.  It makes about as much sense to me as requiring those who chase DX to check into some DX net and take their turn working the DX that some MC has lined up for them to work.

73...Stan, K5GO

Sent from my iPad