[CQ-Contest] What rig to choose for a one-time fieldday

Paul Mackanos - K2DB k2db at k2db.com
Sat Nov 30 12:08:07 EST 2013

On 29-11-2013 14:03, PA5MW, Mark wrote:

>> Looking for the ideal HF rig for a one-time 6 band  field-day MM setup.

>> Run+mult stations, so about 12 HF rigs in total.

>> All 160-10m stations using the same rig. All with external filtering. All

>> with additional PA.

>> Requirements:

>> 1) Simple to use interface

>> No learning curve, anyone can learn operating this rig at contest level

>> within an hour.

Are you kidding? Learn to operate a rig in less than an hour?? That is NOT
going to happen!!!!!!!!!

>> Any required fine adjustments, make that *problems*,  in the field for

>> the whole MM setup needs to be easy.

Again, are you kidding, it will take more than an hour to find out what
*problems* you have.

>> 2) No quirks.

>> No unsolvable issues like leading spike at PTT.  No horrible high phase

>> noise.

Not going to happen in that environment, not with a restriction on PRICE !!!
and operating personnel.

>> 3) Small & lightweighted, can withstand some rough handling during travel

>> Must fit in suitcase.

How do you plan on this requirement, and still want a full blown *contest
grade* rig ?

>> 3) Price level must be very low.

As we all know, all contest grade rigs are VERY LOW PRICE LEVELS, right?,
what are you doing, listening to your wife

And not allowed to spend money ?

>> Any additional tips for buying and selling the rigs after the FD contest?

Yeh, buy cheap and sell expensive !!!!

>> Your answer, based on you own or club experience (no textbook/performance

>> lists wars) will be much appreciated !

My answers are based on numerous Club Activities, Field Days, SS Contests,
Operation at BIG GUN multi multi stations, etc.

If you want to compete, you gotta spend MONEY, KILOBUCKS of money, ask the
BIG BOYS !!!

73 and Good Luck

Paul K2DB