[CQ-Contest] WRTC-2014 Selection Areas

Martin , LU5DX lu5dx at lucg.com.ar
Sun Oct 20 00:17:14 EDT 2013

This is a great and solid explanation and I truly believe it is the
foundation for the overall great quality of operators (both TLs and TMs)
for WRTC 2014.
I think there is a very positive trend in the outlining of WRTC rules: the
best from the preceding event seems to be included in the rules of the
upcoming ones.
For instance, in Russia, all the stations were identically equipped in
terms of aerials and terrain profile. It was amazing to monitor the
stations and see that signal levels were almost identical.
The selection criteria has been improved in several aspects.
To me  the only exception being the distinction between SOAB and SOAB(A) in
detriment of SOAB(A) against not only SOAB but also MS, SOAB LP, and
equaling it to MS LP, M2 and even MM!!
It seems as though WRTC considers SOAB and MS ops with better qualities
than SOAB. Even a part time SOAB with a third or even a quarter of the
score can beat a SOAB(A) who stuck his a** to the chair for 48 hours
straight and even beat some MSs in terms of score.
Not to mention this distinction, considering it's a race for something so
valuable as a spot among the selected operators for the Olympics of Amateur
Radio, only makes more room for cheaters to cheat.
Hopefully this was not the case, but I dare anyone to solidly prove it. No
one can.
So for the sake of the true spirit of WRTC, lets be innovative and
creative. Just don't stick to the "Just a boy and his radio approach"
because that simply is something retrogressive in essence. And here we are
not talking about a simple contest. We are talking about the OLYMPICS of
AMATEUR RADIO.

Another really bad thing that happened, was category hopping from
competitors to avoid fighting in the same entry class as their competitors
at their convenience. It was really sad to see that.

WRTCers must be selected by their individual skills, so it's really hard to
understand how a member of an  MS, or a part timer can score more than a
full all out, 5 days off the job, months training to stay away effort. I
simply don't get it.

You tried to explain that to me Dan, but if you have a better explanation
that whan you said to me over a year ago, I would be more than willing to
know.

Best regards to all and I'm sure we all have a blast in WRTC 2014.

Vy 73.

Martin, LU5DX